Sunday, October 18, 2015

Mental Block: Knocked Out in Round 2!!!

It’s a good thing I chose to research the mental health block, because I needed it desperately this week. I seem to be stuck with my face squished up against the mental block wall right now.

I know the rules of this group are no judging, but I have been judging myself ten ways to Sunday today.  I gained 2 pounds this week and I am livid about it.  I have all of the excuses lined up, I was traveling; I’ve been busy, and although these are true, I still feel like a big fat failure for the backslide this week.

There is so much research about getting your head in the right space to be successful.  I fully appreciate and understand this at an academic level, but I really do not know how to get my head in the right space.  It is easy to beat myself up.  I am probably looking at a 20 year habit that I need to break.

Luckily Jackson is able to talk me off of the ledge.  I probably would have just ate everything in the house out of spite if he hadn’t been here.  Throw away even more work that I have done.  There is no logic to this reaction, but it is my go to response.

The topic of the week (that I’ll share tomorrow with the 6 Week Program Group) is just exactly about this.  It is about why losing weight is so hard and how our minds are literally built to hold us back from success.  I wish I could say I had an If à Then plan ready for if I gained weight (I didn’t) but I think Jackson helped me to not participate in self-sabotaging behavior that would have left me feeling bad all day (& probably tomorrow too!).


Here are a few clips from articles on the mental game that I read and really hit home for what I struggle with.  I hope you enjoy them!  If you can relate to any of them or have some tips to overcome them, leave a comment!

From Fit Bottomed Girls (about how we really rebel against ourselves!):
http://fitbottomedgirls.com/2011/07/5-tips-to-get-out-of-your-own-way-and-lose-the-weight-for-good/

Think about it. How many times have you set out to accomplish a goal or task only to find yourself procrastinating or flat-out sabotaging your own efforts? Started a weight-loss plan on a Monday and are eating directly out of the ice-cream tub by Wednesday? Vowed to go to the gym every morning this week only to find yourself oversleeping?

If you find yourself emotional eating or self-sabotaging, take a deep breath and ask “Who am I really rebelling against?” Many times we choose unhealthy behaviors (almost unconsciously) in defiance of husbands, friends, family or co-workers in an attempt to gain control or have power. Or we are rebelling against ourselves because, deep down, we don’t feel like we’re worthy of the positive changes we’ve set forth to make. These issues could be left over from childhood or may show a lack of confidence in ourselves or an inability to emotionally express ourselves. No matter the reason, do some soul-searching to see what’s affecting you. Awareness—and loving understanding—is the only way to overcome it.

Another article from Fit Bottomed Girls:

Do you talk to yourself like you'd talk to your best friend??
We talk a lot about having a positive headspace and being aware of your thoughts, but REALLY. Pay attention the next time you exercise — and pay attention throughout your entire workout. What are you saying to yourself? What are you thinking about? Are you present? Are you beating yourself up? What happens when you’re struggling with something? What do you tell yourself?
Guys, this is seriously SO important. It’s easy to be positive when you’re rocking your run or workout and all is great in the world. But when the going gets tough, what are you saying to yourself? How could you use a hard time as an opportunity to become more mindful, accepting and loving of yourself?

Forbes Article about a book written by the CEO of Weight Watchers:
It’s a sobering truth that if you struggle with weight, you will always struggle with weight, but that doesn’t mean you’re doomed to live a life without enjoying food! The best thing you can do for your relationship with food is to love food that loves you back. Stay away from the “bad girlfriends of food,” as Kirchhoff cleverly calls them. They’re the ones that give you a quick thrill and make you feel like crap afterwards, leave you wanting more and are TERRIBLE for you in the long run. “Settle down” with great food, and you’ll be in a happy and satisfying commitment for life.

Life in the Green Room:



No comments: