Saturday, October 24, 2015

Mental Block: Can Systems and Tools Help?

So I set out to work on the mental blocks that I am facing about getting healthy for 6 weeks.  I identified what I would work on each week.  For the third and fourth week I thought I would develop tools and systems to help me overcome my mental blocks.

I studied a lot about having a backup plan because your brain cannot wing it.  It reverts to jumping ship or losing your way for a week or month verses just a few hours.  I thought about some If --> then plans to have ready so I can get back on track as soon as possible when I have a slip up (Yup, I am planning for that to happen).

But the more I thought about continuing on this plan of creating tools and systems for the mental block the more I was bothered by it!  I don’t want to create tools and systems to help me move off of a mental block, I want to avoid them all together!!  So I will reframe avoiding mental blocks into the behaviors I actually want (positive frame!) and work on tools and systems to get there!  That is a much more productive use of my time.  (Plus I already have my backup plan ready so I can get back on the track quickly when there is an issue!)


So my first tool or system is to help me stay on the right track.  I think food planning is key for me long term & I have been doing a better job and working on the systems for planning food during the week (Jackson has been working on this too)!  An area I have never tried to tackle is the food I eat when I am traveling.  Since I have a trip next week, this is the perfect time to think about a system for food on the road.  Below is my first pass at a system.  I will work to tweak it as I go!

Event:
Plan 1
Plan 2
Breakfast
If I choose:
·   Pick something with a lot of fruit &/or veggies.  Maybe yogurt.  Ensure there is protein with meats or peanutbutter etc.   
·   Minimize Grease!
·   Minimize carbs. 
·   Breakfast is always hard for me b/c I don’t like eggs…
If I do not choose (like a buffet):
·   Choose any fruits you can
·   Choose a muffin over a pastry
·   Eat some pre-made snacks
Snacks
·   Pack more than normal.  Take granola bars.  Take pistachios & other nuts.  Take dried fruits (for non-international travel)
·   Ensure they are all pre-portioned
·   Eat your snacks vs the ones provided
·   When the choices are not ideal, have some of the food, but try not to overdo it and then supplement with your snacks!

Lunch
·   Order a salad that is not loaded with junk
·   Order a broth soup
·   Order a sandwich by do not eat the top piece of bread and get veggie vs. Fries for the side

Dinner
·   Skip the fried appetizer
·   Order a broth soup or a simple salad
·   Order a meal that is lean meat and a veggie side
·   Survey the whole buffet before you start so you can make the best choices
·   Try to align your plate with 50% veggies, 25% meat, 25% complex carb
Desert
·   Only eat the desert if it is something you really like. Do not eat just because it is there.  Do not have a cannoli or other non-favorite b/c it is available.

·     Have only one desert / day.  Sounds simple but it is easy to have one with lunch or a snack & dinner when traveling.
Beverages
·   Stick with coffee, minimal alcohol and one drink a day like La Croix
·   Have one pop / day if you need to (like coke or ginger ale).  If have a pop one day try to revert back to your Plan 1 the next day.
Workouts
·   Plan how many workouts you need while away to meet your weekly goal.  Schedule them in!
·   If the workouts do not work out for some reason do not panic.  Walk more around the airport or make it up when you get home.  Do not throw away the eating work b/c of this!

So this plan is somewhat simple and tries to account for the flexibility needed when traveling.  Now that I have documented this, I am not sure why I have not done it before!  I have a trip this week so I will get to put this into action right away.  We’ll see how it goes!!!

I’d love to hear your thoughts on systems.  Any successes you’ve had, systems you have developed or questions you have, please share!




Life in the Green Room









No comments: