Monday, August 17, 2015

7 Strategies to Help with Snacking!

I wrote a post a few months ago about snacking.  It is a battle for me most of the time because I enjoy snacking so much!
I have been trying to develop some ways to prevent my mindless snacking.  It may feel good at the time, but for sure, regret is to follow.

Tip 1:  Bag of veggies
Don’t worry; I would never try to sell you on a bag of veggies being a real snack.  (Unless maybe you have some amazing dip!).  When I am on a snack attack, if I have assessed that I am truly not hungry and just want to eat, I will try this.  Tell myself: You can eat whatever snacks you want, you just have to eat a baggie of veggies first.  (I try to keep small baggies of veggies pre made in the fridge so I have no excuse!).  This does work, because I either a) decide I am not really hungry and don’t want to get through the veggies to eat the snack or b) eat the veggies and am much less hungry for the snack.  Even if I have the snack after the veggies, I eat less and I had a bag of veggies!!!


Tip 2:  Smart Pop (even if you eat way too much, it's not that bad!)
I love popcorn!  But not all popcorn is created equally.  I like smart pop because it is delicious and much better (in terms of calories and fat) than the white cheddar or movie butter varieties.  If you can contain yourself to the individual sized bags, even better!  Another popcorn tip I have is making my own popcorn; either on the stove or in a brown paperbag.  This is good too because then you really only have a snack when you are willing to work for it!

Tip 3: Nature Box Snacks
As a housewarming gift, we got this awesome subscription to monthly snacks!  We go to Nature Box and; pick several back of healthy snacks and they show up at our door a few days later.  This works well because it gets us to try some new things, they are healthier than regular bags of snacks (no high fructose corn syrup, no artificial flavors or colors etc.) and there are lots of options (no gluten, vegan, no soy etc.)

Tip 4: Drink A Full Glass Of Water First
Water is the best thing for everyone!  Something we hear over and over again.  If you drink a full glass of water before you snack, you will eat less snacks.  There is no risk or downside because even if it doesn’t reduce your consumption, at least you got in a glass of water!  If you get tired of water, try it with fruit or even a cucumber!

Tip 5: Try Some Kiddie Snacks (Like Applesauce or Jell-O!)
Sometimes I like to go back in time, especially when packing my lunches.  It can seem fun and a treat.  The benefit of eating snacks that are specifically targeted at kids is the portions are kid-sized!  And you can get most of them sugar free.  Examples I have all eaten in the past year: Applesauce, Jell-O, string cheese, celery and peanut butter, PBJ.  There are lots of choices here, so embrace your inner child!



Tip 6: Don't Bring It Into The House (Oldie But A Goodie!)
We implement this in waves.  Sometimes we are rock stars about no snacks and then (seemingly out of nowhere!) we’ll have a house full of snacks.  The tried and true tips about not shopping on an empty stomach, sticking to your list and avoiding all together the snack aisles can really help.

Tip 7: If you have to buy snacks (literally cannot help yourself!) try buying some things that are not your favorite.
Maybe some people are better, but when my favorite snacks (I’m looking at you cheese puffs and Doritos) are in the house I have no chance!  I will eat a ½ of a bag in the blink of an eye.  I wish I was joking here.  So having those around is danger danger!  If we buy some things that I’ll eat, but are not my favorites, I am in a much better position to actually snack like a human (vs. a vacuum).    


What have you found that helps you snack less, or snack better???  Let’s work on this together!!


Life in the Green Room

No comments: