Friday, November 6, 2015

Implementing my ‘On the Road Again’ System: The Results are in!

So I was traveling last week and it was my first chance to implement one of my new systems.
Overall I would say it definitely helpedI did not have an A+ eating week while I was traveling, but I also did not have a D.  I would say my average eating while on the road is about a D.  I normally feel no obligation to eat healthy and I eat whatever is put in front of me.  I have no idea how I got this way.  I have been traveling for work for the past 8 years and I pretty much have always chalked all of  my trips up to a lost cause.  This seems incredibly short sided!  (It is so easy to Monday Morning Quarterback).

Anyway, back to my trip.  I would give myself about a B.  I 100% made better choices than I would have without a system.  Here are some of the simple better choices I made!
  • I ate an English muffin with peanut butter for breakfast each day instead of a muffin.  This one small this is so much healthier!  The calories may be equal (I have no idea) but for sure there is better nutrients in peanut butter than a giant blueberry muffin. 
  • I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich for dinner and ate it open face so I only ate half the bun.  (We were at a bar that had almost no options that were not in the deep fryer so I felt really good about this)
  • I had no sodas
  • I ate a bag of pistachios I had brought vs. a bag of chips one day.  (Don’t tell anyone I took a bag of pistachios over the border)
  • I didn’t finish my meal at dinner one night (attempted to stop eating when I was full!)
  • I had tons of salad for lunch at the meetings

So I am pretty proud of these accomplishments!  I was not perfect; I still had a few snacks during the day.  One night in particular I ate a ton of bad foods for dinner.  This was driven from having not much lunch one day (they had salad (which I filled up on) & sandwiches, but they all had mayonnaise – which I hate – so by dinner I was starving!).  I should have eaten more pistachios or other snacks on this day, but…….. live & learn. 

I know for sure I would have had a much worse (my previously normal grade D performance) week of eating if I had not had a system in place!


I have another work trip in December so I will definitely be trying this again!  Maybe I’ll review and tweak before that session!  

Share any systems you have created that have been helpful for you!

Life in the Green Room


No comments: