Saturday, December 5, 2015

Deck the Halls with Goals for 2016!

It is the time of year now, where you start thinking about goals.  You start to reflect (or you will in a few weeks) on what you’ve accomplished & what you’d like to see happen in 2016.

I love goals, especially goal setting and goal planning.  It is one of my most nerdy things!

As I start to dive into how I will set my goals for next year, I plan to reflect on the goals of 2015.  I’ll be writing a few blogs on this topic and one of the future blogs will dive into setting up for success in 2016.

At the beginning of this year, Jackson & I set down to set out goals of the year together (Yes, we are really that nerdy).  We tracked them in OneNote in a shared notebook so we could both see them.  This made me feel incredibly vulnerable.  Prior to this, I kept my goals kind of a secret!  Something only for me.  I know there is tons of research about sharing your goals with friends and family and putting them on social media (so you have accountability right there!), but I have never felt comfortable with that.  This was a little hard for me, but really was so impactful.  If you want someone to support all of your goals (& vice versa) they really need to know what they are!  That sounds so simple, but sometimes it is overlooked.

So for 2015, I decided to make 100 goals.  Yes, 100!  I read an article by Scottthe Nametag guy and I decided to give it a try.  His point was that making 100 goals is huge and you have to go in thinking you will not make all of them, but dreaming about what is possible. 

If this is interesting to you, try it!  I came up with 80 goals in like 20 minutes!  The last 20 I really had to think about, but it was a fun exercise.

I broke my goals down into:
  • Personal Goals: 61
  • Finance Goals: 12
  • Work Goals: 9
  • Health: 18

Out of my 100 goals, I gave myself a success or completion on 57.  That is not too bad!  I had to "get there" about this a success b/c in my school/student driven mind, I needed to be at 85%+ to be a success.  I really did get a lot of great things done this year & I think I laid the foundation on a few things so 2016 can be set up for a success as well!

Personal Goals: Overall success rate: 38/61 (63%)
In this bucket I had everything from maintain better contact with family and friends to buy a house to go on dates with Jackson to read more books to donate to charities.  I really could have segmented this more, but it worked all lumped in.  So I knocked a lot out on this list and some of them were huge (like buying a house)! 

Finance Goals: 9/12 (75%)
This was a key goal for us to keep in front of us as we did get a home and are saving for a wedding.  I think we did well here with the strategies we laid out.  One of my favorite things I did this year for finance is reading the Tony Robbins book.  It is a monster!  And it had great insights.  I’d like to revisit this book (maybe after the wedding!) to implement a few of his strategies that I really liked! 

Work Goals: 6/9 (67%)
I had a few things here that were important to me and the primary one just came through in November.  I transferred over to a new group at work.  I was really looking forward to this so I could get something new to dig my teeth into.  This was definitely a big win for the year.

Health Goals: 6/18 (33%)
This was my weakest area of success this year.  To be honest, this one is a little frustrating to me.  I do not think it was for lack of focus!  I have been thinking about my health more this year.  I think during the year I did really well on certain things, but I was not able to string them all together.  I had a ton of goals that were year-long.  Like exercise 175+ days this year, drink 80 oz of water 5 days a week etc.  I honestly didn’t even track these things after the first few months.  So this is an area I am going to give a lot of thought to before I sent my goals for the next year.

Even if you didn’t set goals for 2015, you can still reflect on the year to think about how you want to set up 2016!  Email me here and I’ll send you a sheet to help you evaluate the year.


Happy 2015 Reflection!  


Life in the Green Room



No comments: