Sunday, September 13, 2015

I’m on the Juice! (the legal kind) Week 3 of our Juicing Challenge!

Have you ever thought about juicing?  Are you looking for a new thing to try to mix up your diet?  Jackson & I have been on a 6 week program to ease into juicing.  I’m spilling all the details.  The good, the bad, the ugly/angry etc.  Follow our journey!  Let us know if you want to try anything like this!

So we have officially made it with 3 weeks of juicing for one meal / 5 days a week.  Half way to our goal.  Go Team Go!  Feeling pretty proud to have cleared the half way mark on our journey. 
Each week is presenting its own challenges though, so I’ll dive into the details.

For week 3 the challenge on top of juicing was to work out 2.5 hours and to eat no fried foods.  If you remember from week 1, I was basically eating an entire day’s worth of calories at lunch, so it was no big deal that I had to have juice for dinner.  (By the way, it is so easy to say ‘no big deal’ in hindsight.  During that week, I, in fact, did think it was a very big deal!)   So this week I wanted to keep up with the exercise, and slowly start to eat better.

Week 3 started out with a little drama because our juicer quit working at the end of week 2.  So we had to rush to take care of this.  It was so tempting to use this as an excuse to not stick with our six week challenge!  Luckily Jackson and I took turns being the voice of reason.  One of us would say, let’s give up & throw in the towel, and the other would be like ‘No Way! We just spent $200 on a juicer or You can give up, but I’m gonna do it – I’ll just buy the juice at Whole Foods etc.’  (We're both really competitive so this kind of strategy works!)  So we got the juicer back on track without missing any days!  We were back in business by Monday.  This did mean we had to do 5 days in a row though, a first for us!

Sunday night I was cranky (again) b/c I snacked too much & then I agreed to go to dinner instead of juicing Sunday night - it was too easy to blame the broken juicer.  So I started out the week a little crabby.  I was not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel I felt at the end of the week!

This week has been tough because I have been legitimately hungry, for the first time in our juicing challenge.  I think this is because I have really had reasonable lunches.  (Reminder: last few weeks I was basically eating an entire day's worth of calories at lunch so having juice for a meal was a mental challenge, not a hunger one)  This week I have had small reasonable snacks in the evening after my juice because my stomach has been growling.  I still consider this a win because it is in the absolute spirit of what we are trying to accomplish.

I slept great!  I have had more energy to get up early.  This is key b/c I like to work out or work on this blog in the morning before work.  When I can't drag myself out of bed early, I tend to be cranky because I start the day off behind my goals. 

Wins of the Week!
·         We are not feeling weird from the juice anymore.  We are also getting more on board with some of the juices that are not mostly fruit.  Tons more spinach & carrots!
·         So proud of us because we bought a Sam's Club container of spinach & used it in 3 days!  We usually end up wasting those! 
·         Made my 2.5 hrs of exercise - one walk & 2 zumbas!  Plus another day of running around after my nephew and dancing at a wedding, so felt really great about my activity level!
·         Started to feel sick after having processed sugar (was ice cream & coke).  Not sure if this is a win or not???  But a noticeable difference.

So I think the challenge has been harder this week but I think I am seeing more of the benefits I was hoping for.


Let me know what you think about juicing?  Have you tried it yet?  Any questions?

Life in the Green Room


No comments: