Friday, September 18, 2015

Keep on Juicing! Juicing Week 4 Update

If you have been following along, Jackson and I are on a 6 week juicing challenge.  If not, no worries, jump right in & see how we are doing!  We are ‘easing’ into juicing.  Easing has not been that easy though!  I’m spilling all the details.  The good, the bad, the ugly/angry etc.  Follow our journey!  Let us know if you want to try anything like this!  (or if you have, what you think!)

So we crossed another milestone & we are now staring down the finish line of our juicing challenge.  We finished week 4!  This week my goal was to have a juice for a meal 5 days a week and to workout for 3.5 hours.  Bumping up the workout to 3.5 hours was tough!  It equals to 30 minutes every day and as I have no desire to be a crazed workout person (no offence, if you do work out every day -  you are amazing!) I had to bump up the time to get it in!  It required a lot of planning & tracking.  I really want to continue with the lifting too b/c I feel like such a weakling lately (I used to think I was really strong!)  I think I have let all my muscle turn into fat, so I need to start to process of turning it back!

This week we finally fell into a rhythm for juicing.  I guess there is truth about it really taking 21 days to form a habit.  The first 3 weeks were a complete struggle.  We have figured out how to pick the juices, plan our grocery shopping (including making one big crock pot or equivalent meal so I have lunches to take).  These seem simple, but the first few weeks, we turned these into monumental tasks!!

We tried to get out of it once or twice, but, in general, we are in a rhythm.  I think we both are too stubborn to not finish at this point.

Juicing in place of a meal is still tough, but I think this was the easiest week so far.

We had a few juices that were really tough this week.  We both decided we really hate the juices with cucumber.  I think we'll sub cucumber for celery or more spinach in the future - we literally choked that one down.  We also had one called Lemon Lime & Bitters.  It was terrible.  It was so tart with the lemon & lime.  It was out of control!  I wish I could have videoed Jackson’s face on his fist sip.  It was a pucker face like you've never seen!

Wins of the week!
  •          Something came up & we really wanted to eat out a night that was supposed to be a drinking night (ha I mean juicing night!).  We found a quick resolution & had juice for breakfast.  (this is not perfect because I like to have smoothies for breakfast, but it worked in a pinch to help us stay on track!)
  •          I finally lost a few pounds.  I lost 2 pounds this week (first since we started juicing and a total of 7 since starting watching health in May) so I am not lighting the world on fire but I’m still counting this as a win
  •          We tried some tougher juices (as noted above!)  We are getting so brave now J


I’m starting to feel pretty proud about how we are completing the challenge & starting to think about our sustaining plan.  What will we do after this 6 weeks is over?

I have had more energy and maybe only one night since we started did I go to bed feeling overly full.  I think that is one key reason I can sleep better.

Did you try it yet?  Let us know!
I know this juice looks like a gross color, but that's the thing, it's actually quite good!  In fact (with the exception of the juices with cucumber & beet) they have all been good!

Life in the Green Room

No comments: